Acupuncture, a Holistic Treatment for Pets
Practiced for thousands of years, this traditional Chinese medicine technique uses needles to either release energy or encourage its flow at specific locations throughout the body, known as pressure points. Based on the principle theory that every living being has energy (qi) which flows through the body, acupuncture helps regulate this flow of energy to support good physical and mental health. In addition, acupuncture has been shown to benefit our pets in many of the same ways that it benefits us, humans.
Common Pet Conditions Successfully Improved with Acupuncture
Acupuncture has been shown to improve general wellness and reduce anxiety overall, but its anti-inflammatory effects can be applied to improve and/or relieve your pets from several particular conditions, including:
- Conditions Related to the Musculoskeletal System – Issues such hip dysplasia, arthritis, nerve problems, or injuries can be relieved and improved with acupuncture. Acupuncture promotes circulation to the problem areas, easing pain and accelerating recovery by delivering the oxygen and nutrients which are vital to the healing process.
- Skin Conditions – Acupuncture not only helps heal skin conditions such as hot spots, granulomas, and allergic dermatitis but also provides your pet relief from the painful and itchy symptoms associated with these issues.
- Gastrointestinal Problems – Acupuncture increases circulation and stimulates nerves in the abdomen. This has been shown to relieve both nausea and diarrhea. Acupuncture can also stimulate the secretion of digestive enzymes, helping to regulate normal bowel activity in your pet.
- Difficulties with the Respiratory System – Respiratory issues such as asthma and allergies are caused by increased inflammation due to an overly active immune response. The anti-inflammatory action of acupuncture can help control your pet’s symptoms, allowing him or her to breathe more comfortably.
- Pain Management – Acupuncture works similarly to anti-inflammatory medications to prevent, reduce, and manage pain in pets who might have pain due to a chronic condition, illness, or injury. Acupuncture can be used on an ongoing basis to manage pain in your pets during treatments or while he or she heals. Acupuncture is a safe and healthy long-term pain management solution for pets, as it is free from the harmful side effects of certain pain medications.
Schedule an appointment
Fill out information and submit
Professional Veterinary Acupuncture in a Calming Environment
Pet Health’s staff of fully trained pet acupuncturists welcome pets to participate in a well-rounded treatment plan including traditional western and eastern medicinal practices. We provide your pet with gentle treatment in our specially designed therapy room. Mindfully designed for pet relaxation and wellness, the tranquil atmosphere of our acupuncture room calms pets during treatments with aromatherapy, a peaceful water feature, and music composed with simple melodies and rhythms written for pet relaxation.